Monday, May 30, 2005

Light of Liberty

I grew up during the Vietnam War. Early memories recall Walter Cronkite on the evening news giving the weekly casualty reports. It was somehow comforting that the enemy numbers were always bigger than ours. It gave me hope that we were winning. Kids in my class at school talked about their older brothers receiving draft notices and being sent to Vietnam. I fully expected to be sent there myself when I finished high school.

The war and draft ended before I started my senior year. While I know some who have served, I don't personally know anyone who was killed in the line of duty. And I guess that's the point. The few have served their country - and some given their lives - so that the many may enjoy the benefits of freedom.

For that I am thankful.

The photograph below is of 30 Mile Point lighthouse at Somerset, New York. Click on photo to enlarge.

Mark D. Roberts has additional thoughts on Memorial Day.
Posted by Hello

No comments: