Tuesday, May 31, 2005

One Man's Garbage Can Is ... Well ... Another Man's Garbage Can


When I was about five, my father gave me a Kodak Brownie box camera. I loved it and would photograph everything in sight. Actually, I would look down into the viewfinder and click the shutter. Putting film in the camera was not yet a concept I fully grasped. Of particular interest to me were garbage cans as subject matter.

Knowing about this early photographic predilection of mine, my wife gently chides me for creating a "garbage can" photo whenever I capture an offbeat subject. For some reason this life guard's chair off Evanston, Illinois caught my eye. My wife waited patiently while I made several shots, and then reminded me about garbage cans.

Later on, I sent a number of Lake Michigan shots to a publisher of travel guides. I threw this one in at the last minute as a "heck, why not?" entry. Out of several dozen shots submitted, guess which one the publisher chose? Yup.

Moral to this story, if the picture interests you, it will probably interest someone else. Go ahead and take it.

Click on photo to enlarge. Copyright 2005 James Jordan

Anti-Itch Meditation explores decision-making on his post "Decision Making and the Will of Me."

And by the way, if you can figure out the meaning of this photograph, leave me a comment. I'm still trying to figure it out.
Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Suzi said...

That's a great photo, and definitely does not belong in a garbage can!

Robin said...

Thanks for sharing such beautiful work.