Sunday, July 17, 2005

Resting in peace


Among the approximately 70 structures left by settlers in Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, are several churches. I photographed the grounds of the Primitive Baptist Church on a misty morning.

The church was such a central point of the community that it was a foregone conclusion that members of the church would be laid to rest in the adjacent cemetery. I cannot imagine anyone, let alone myself, wanting to be buried next to the suburban megachurch I attend. I love the church, but I'm not that attached. Maybe it's the difference between a church that is run like a business as opposed to one that is run like a family. (Thanks to Robert Williamson at Dead Man Blogging for his thoughts.)

This photo speaks to me of peace and rest; and the church, when it has its priorities in the right order, as the bringer of that message of peace and rest to the community around it.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Click on phtoto to enlarge. Copyright 2005 James Jordan Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Daldianus said...

I'm not a religious person, but this pictures is excellent. Very peaceful and serene.

Martian Anthropologist said...

Nice photo; looks gothic, but maybe that's just me. I really enjoy photos of cemeteries.

Equipper said...

Great Pictures and enjoyable site.

Wayne Newcomb @Equipers Network
http://Equippersnetwork.blogspot.com