Saturday, July 16, 2005

Too soon


The observation tower on Clingman's Dome has a 15-foot "crow's nest" at the top. This particular evening, about 8-10 people cycled in and out of the tower as the evening progressed. Two other photographers along with myself, had tripods set up to catch the sunset.

One friendly chap struck up conversations with people, inquiring where they were from. It turned out one woman had traveled from a town not far from mine. Small world at 6,630 feet.

I talked in an earlier post about a woman, who, seeing clouds roll over the Dome, decided that's all there was to see and that it was time to leave. I stayed and got the pictures you see here and in my last two posts. As the sun got lower, I decided that the cloud layer was too thick to get any more decent shots, so I packed up and left.

Halfway back to the parking lot, I noticed that everything along the path began to take on a pink tinge. I turned around and saw the sky on fire with a gorgeous red afterglow. I quickly set up my tripod and was able to get a couple of shots before the display faded away.

I guess even the faithful can misjudge things.

Click on the above images to enlarge. Photos copyright 2005 James Jordan Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Beautiful and wonderful blog of the culture of the human nature depicted in the colourful picture.