Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Plan B


A family pauses for a snapshot at Gooseberry Falls, along Minnesota’s Lake Superior coast. The falls are a very popular stop along state highway 61. This particular day had overcast skies, which provided the perfect lighting for photographing waterfalls. Only one problem; it was nearly impossible to get an unimpeded view of the falls due to the large number of visitors, many of whom found it necessary to wade out into the river for their personal snapshots despite safety signs instructing them not to.

But I’m not bitter. Really.

I decided to go with the flow, so to speak, and include some people in my shots. This particular group was dressed in a way that made them stand out from the cascade behind them, and they stood still long enough for me to get the half-second exposure necessary to blur the rushing waters.

Betcha my shot came out better than theirs did.

Really, I’m not bitter.

Click on photo to enlarge. © 2005 James Jordan.

3 comments:

engloy said...

I think leaving the "crowd" in the picture gives a good sense of proportion to the shot. I agree, you shouldn't feel bitter. The shot is sweet! :)

Came across your blog from BlogExplosion. Keep shooting and keep posting!

C. Hedges said...

I agree with engloy. Having people in the shot adds proportion. People naturally like to see other people, so it makes the shot more pleasing visually.

As a narrative tool, having people in the frame also makes the photo more interesting because it "tells" the story about all of the people wading out into the water to snap their family member's pictures.

I always like to include people in my shots and will often wait until someone passes by so that I can include them in the frame.

Chris
Deliberate Chaos
BA~~32

Anonymous said...

six of one, half dozen of the other in my opinion. I'd rather not have them in there, but I can see the whole perspective thing. It's just that you want a shot of God's beautiful creation and here are... well, God's beautiful creation (heh) taking up space in your shot. Oh well.
btw, thanks for linking The Omnibus at the other blog. You're a doll.