Sunday, October 23, 2005

Ring of fire

A hat tip goes out to Andy at Blue Hour for the idea of using a moving flame as a light source for a photograph. With the shutter of the camera locked open, I walked around the birch tree with an oil candle attached to a black metal rod. This was my first attempt at the technique and I plan to do more (and get better at it).

I'm in the Chicago suburbs, not the Texas backcountry like Andy, so my locales are somewhat limited - this photo was taken in my front yard. I'm sure the neighbors were wondering what in the world I was doing.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2005 James Jordan.

2 comments:

Ahamed Iqbal said...

Neat shot.

You definetely had the right exposure here. With some practice you could sign your name or draw a face.

Dana said...

Very nice! I have no clue how it is done, but I can appreciate the end product. ;)