Friday, December 30, 2005

What a landscape photographer does when the weather outside is absolutely dreadful

For one, he goes out anyway and shoots what he can find, knowing that there will be lots of post-processing to be done to get any useful shots at all. Secondly, he does what he can to amuse himself indoors.

The above photo is one of the latter. Three of the last four days I spent in Door County, Wisconsin were the grayest days I've ever encountered. Normally, I can deal with overcast days. I've learned to do a lot with cloudy skies, but there has to be some bit of texture in the clouds to work with. No dice this week. Totally smooth sheets of gray.

So, wandering around the house my family rented for the week, I spied the top of the grand piano located in the living room next to a large window. I put various objects on the glossy black surface, and employing sheets of paper and white linens as reflectors of the incoming light, made a number of pictures. I lit and extinguished the candle a number of times, photographing the smoke trails.

I did manage to get out and do some shooting as well. It'll just take some time to process the photos to my liking. Stay tuned.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2005 James Jordan.

1 comment:

prying1 said...

Nice pic. I really do like the way the smoke makes you look for designs in it.