Sunday, January 15, 2006

Lighthouse week: Photo #1

Portland Head Lighthouse, Portland, Maine

When I started Points of Light last May, I did so with the intent of showcasing my collection of lighthouse photographs, along with the meaning I find in them. I also intended to post one lighthouse photograph every day. What was I thinking? I quickly decided that the scope of this blog had to include travel and discovery in general, so as not to exhaust my lighthouse collection before I had a chance to go out and get some more.

So, in a brief return to my original premise, I present the first in a series of lighthouse photos that will be posted this week.

On a trip to Maine in August of 2001, I photographed the Portland Head Lighthouse outside of the city of Portland. It was a wonderful trip with my family. Maine is a beautiful part of the country, and I personally decreased the lobster population by two. It was peaceful, quiet and serene, and this photo summed it up pretty well. But there was something lurking beneath the surface. About the same time we were in Portland, a group of men were staying in the city, having come from Canada. Members of that group would soon make thier way to Boston and Newark and Washington D.C. A month later the quiet and serenity of the U.S. was shattered by the events of September 11, 2001.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan.

7 comments:

R. Lee said...

It looks like the brighter clouds are being lit by the lighthouse. Great shot.

John said...

Love the subtle colours in this one. Exposure and composition are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous James!

Alison Ashwell said...

The skies are beutiful in the two lighthouse photos

James said...

r. lee, it had been a clear blue sky all day, and just at sundown, the clouds rolled in. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

john, thanks - I'm happy with how it all came together.

jem, thank you and welcome back. Hope the skiing was excellent.

alison, thank you, too.

Anonymous said...

I love that shot!

http://www.photosforsouls.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful light for a beautiful scene. Is this in an art gallery yet? Got you in my favorites over at photoblogs.org now.