Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Lighthouse week: Photo #4

Owl's Head Light, Owl's Head, Maine

It’s short. It’s squat. It looks like it sprouts out of the ground like a giant mushroom. But it sits on a nine-story-tall bluff overlooking Rockland Harbor, Maine. That’s all the Owl’s Head Lighthouse needs for its authority. This is one of those "don’t-try-this-at-home" photos. I spotted the dead tree to the right of the lighthouse and wanted to get it in the picture. In order to do so, I had to step over the carefully placed chain with the “Do not pass beyond this point” sign on it and position myself perilously close to the edge of the bluff.

This was taken during my August 2001 trip to Maine. It was a very hot summer and most of the grass had been baked to a golden brown color. But I think it works from a color and composition standpoint. And I survived to tell about it.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures!

-Jonathan

http://www.photosforsouls.com

James said...

Jonathan, Thanks for stopping by. Happy that you enjoyed the photos.

Anonymous said...

I love your lighthouse photots! A very nice series.