Friday, February 03, 2006

Silo, tree and barn

Another snowy offering from two weekends ago. A foggy winter evening and a quick freeze coated the landscape with a thick layer of frost the next morning. While driving down a country road near my northwest suburban Chicago home, I spotted this whitened tree standing in contrast against a grain silo.

Year after year, the tree mostly blends in with its background, providing nothing special to the casual observer. It's on the rare occasion that conditions come together just so to make the true identity of the tree known.

I think I too often find myself in the same condition as this poor tree. Blending in, not standing out. Same old same old. Jesus called his followers the light of the world and the salt of the earth. Generally, light and salt don't sit back. They get noticed. Or at least they're missed when they're not there.

I'm working on it.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan.

3 comments:

James said...

glenn, thanks for the compliment. It's a combination of things that come together for a good photo - I use simple equipment ... a Nikon FM10 and mostly a 35-70mm zoom lens, good film and I usually apply some little tone adjustments in Photoshop. But it really helps to have conditions like I found myself in over the last couple of weeks. Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Oh, this is a wonderfully dreamy image! How lucky you were to be in that spot at that moment. I can almost hear the quiet "shushing" sound of the ice and snow.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» »