Sunday, February 26, 2006

The taxing part is over

I finished my tax returns today. The question now is what to do with the $8 refund I will receive from the U.S. government. I dunno ... buy a roll of film, I guess.

Here’s a photo of some of my tax dollars at work. This was taken at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These are the engine ports of the second stage booster of an Apollo moon rocket. The entire 360-foot-long machine is suspended in sections from the ceiling of a very large hangar building. The hangar featured some very pleasing light. Not bad for a government installation.

I feel a boost now that I’ve gotten my taxes out of the way.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photo © 2006 James Jordan.

4 comments:

Roger said...

How different would this picture look if your $8-worth was subtracted?

James said...

Josh, I hear you. It came down to the last couple of entries in my tax prep software. I had changed my withholdings in anticipation of losing a couple of exemptions this year, but there's always so many factors that go into how taxes are computed that no mortal being can adequately predict how he or she will come out.

Roger, I'd like to think that the booster would still be housed in a quanset hut in Nevada if not for my $8, but realistically, I probably wound up paying for some subcontractor's lunch.

SJW said...

What a wicked cool shot this is. Amazing to think of the power represented here. Science fiction, almost a cartoon feel. I'd love to see more of your space center pictures!

James said...

steve,
I'll have to dig around in the files and see what I can come up with. There is another picture from NASA I posted on August 24 ... it's in the archive. Glad you liked this shot.