Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Simply difficult

The theme of the day at Lensday is “minimal.” No, I’m not making a judgment of Lensday’s choice of topics. It really is “Minimal” – photos with as few elements as possible.

The lowest possible number of elements is one, and there are many photographers who excel at making that one element speak volumes.

Some do great work with two elements.

I don’t have an abundance of minimalist photos in my archives. The best I could come up with is the three-element photo above. Just like trying to write succinctly by using the fewest but strongest words possible, simplifying a photograph is tough work.

So how come the simplest things are sometimes the hardest things to do?

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Taking an one element picture is definitely challenging. I was out shooting the other week and did it unknowingly until I read your post. It's a good challenge.

http://www.pbase.com/bvandeg/image/64122120