Thursday, July 13, 2006

Something drastic

This picture wasn’t working for me. Not that I could not identify with the subject matter found in the center of a cemetery near Cleveland, Wisconsin. The scene is central to my Christian faith. But even the tilted composition and polarized sky and clouds just fell kind of flat for me. So I tried something drastic:

I inverted the photo in PhotoShop – basically turned it into a color negative image, then adjusted levels, selected areas for saturation/desaturation and blur. The result is something I felt was more in line with the drama that took place between heaven and earth one day two thousand years ago, when the entire universe was inverted. The blue sky turned black as the sinless One was made into sin, to deliver the sinful. Something drastic.

Click on pictures to enlarge. Photographs © 2006 James Jordan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting perspective here. but yeah i agree that the manipulation does make it feel more... represetative of that fateful day.

Rosemary said...

Wow! Quite a difference in the emotion that is felt.

BV

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very powerful!

~pen~ said...

very dramatic difference james! you took something positive and turned it into a negative, but really, it is still (albeit a stretch to our minds) a positive after all...