Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Winter dawn

Happy Wednesday.

Hopefully, you’ll make it safely over the hump today and coast gracefully into the coming weekend. Although that can be difficult this time of year. Why do we put ourselves through all the shopping, baking and general running around during the Christmas season? As I’ve heard it put, “We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to satisfy people we don’t like.” Other than a handful of shepherds who had to be up anyway, the rest of the world pretty much slept through the first Christmas.

This was the last frame on the roll of film I used to take the previous early morning shots. The night was fleeing ahead of the advancing sun, so I turned my attention to the approaching daybreak. This shot was metered to catch the full color of the sky. I used a small flashlight, which I carried with me to help me see to set the camera in the dark, to light the post and some of the foreground grass. By the way you may recognize these posts from other photos I've taken.

Finding time to get out and photograph will be harder to come by in the next couple of weeks, and photos like this one will have to sustain me during the busy times to come. But there’s also lots of stuff in the archives that I can revisit.

Just plain nice photograph.

Winter dawn, 30 seconds at f22, 400 ISO film, Wal-Mart mini flashlight for 15 seconds. Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan.

1 comment:

Sunflower Optimism said...

Stunning James - that little sliver of orange-yellow-pink right below that deep blue sky is just spectacular. Love the grassy texture in front. So simple, yet so much going on, so much interest. What a great eye you have.

Today is my husband's birthday - can't even think about Christmas until that's over - then 30 over for Christmas, presents to buy and wrap, children to pick up from college - will be running on high octane next week!