Sunday, February 04, 2007

Cold night on the beach

I’m currently in Egg Harbor, Wisconsin watching the Super Bowl (Go Bears!) My wife and I came up to the frozen north to get some full moon winter pictures. The weather reports made that possibility rather doubtful – the forecasts called for cloudy skies and snow throughout the weekend. Fortunately for me, the weather doesn’t read the forecasts. The skies have been crystal clear every night. And cold. Actual air temperatures have gotten as low as -10 degrees (F). Add a 20-mph wind and things get miserable in a hurry.

We knew it was going to be painfully cold this weekend and we came anyway. And we’re coming back with a good collection of day and night pictures, all taken in below zero temperatures.

This photo was taken last Friday night near Baileys Harbor. Wind chills were about -15 degrees. I found the old boat lift in the dark, set the camera low to catch a goodly expanse of sky and set it for a 150 second exposure. A bonus were the clouds and stars, which I could not see at the time.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

No comments: