Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Solitude

In my younger days, I worked as a graphic designer at a printing operation in mid-Michigan. One of our clients was the Iverson Snowshoe company of Shingleton, Michigan. One of just two snowshoe manufacturers in the U.S., their tag line was and still is, “Seek Wilderness.” We joked around the shop that the tagline was just a polite way of saying, “Get lost.” When one of us got on another’s nerves, the conversation usually ended with the rejoinder to go seek some wilderness.

The occasional encounter with solitude is not a bad idea. To throw off the electronic tethers and be free from their clinging grasp for a while. To search for things that are truly important in life. To recalibrate. To recharge.

Seek wilderness.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I really like your choice of processing in this shot James. Your story is wonderful, as always. I guess that, when I moved up here to my farm a year ago, I was "seeking wilderness" on a permanent basis. I've "gotten lost" and I don't mind it one bit!

Unknown said...

Hi! This is one hell of a blog! Could we exchange links?

My blog is - Infinitely CRAZY

Please do leave me a comment after linking to me(if you agree to the exchange, of course)

Thanks!
:)

Wanda said...

That a cute way of saying it!! My son has been a Graphic Designer for about 20 years now.
The picture really captures solitude...nice James.