Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The oak in autumn

Being strong and sturdy, the oak tree has come to represent longevity and wisdom. Like wisdom, the tree is something that stands the test of time. It has fought and struggled and withstood storms and harsh conditions. It prevails.

Standing as I do at the midway point of my life, I find myself wishing that I knew ten or twenty years ago what I know now. Sometimes you have to experience some tough times and tackle some tough lessons in order to gain wisdom. I’m a bit more gnarled and scarred than I was in my twenties and thirties, but I have more wisdom to show for it now.

This is another experiment in exposure blending – this photo is the blending of two exposures, one for the foreground grass and one for the branches and foliage standing against the late afternoon sun. An Orton effect was added in post-processing.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

5 comments:

HeyJules said...

James, can you explain a bit about what you mean when you say "Orton effect"? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that before.

Carlos de la RĂșa said...

Beautiful. I suggest you to print it 2 meters and hang it in your living room. Fantastic. Love and Peace. Carlos.
www.carlosdelarua.blogspot.com

James said...

Carlos, thanks for the kind comment.

Heyjules, this effect was originally developed by (are you ready) a photographer named Michael Orton. He would create romantic soft focus effects on slide film by taking two shots of a subject - one overexposed, and one overexposed and out of focus. He would sandwich the two slides together and the result is similar to what you see here. Of course, today, the effect can be generated in a photo editing program like Photoshop.

My photo tutorial blog has a basic introduction to the Orton method. The link is here:
http://readyaimclick.blogspot.com/2007_02_15_archive.html

You can also click the Orton tag at the bottom of this blog entry to see other Orton-ized photos I've posted.

Thanks for coming by!

shannon said...

Hello James,

First ... your pictures are wonderful. I so admire your ability to see and capture such beauty. I have said a hundred times, "One of these days I'm going to learn how to do that ..." but we'll see. I said the same thing about learning the violin. :)

I'm with you about wishing I had known back in my twenties and thirties what I know today. Isn't this the best time of life? There's something to be said about knowing yourself better and having a clearer perspective about what really matters. I wouldn't go back for anything.

Lastly, thank you for the comment you left today. You're some kind of writer yourself. I like the way you put your words together.

I'm making a note to myself to come back more often.

Wanda said...

Another lovely shot and your narative always moves me.

And James, you dear man, if you never responded to my comments, I would continue to visit your blog for inspiration and insight!

Your "faithful" friend Wanda :)(((smile)))