Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A new day

I grew up a fan of Paul Simon. With partner Art Garfunkel and later on his own, Paul wrote and performed music that was inventive and perceptive. In high school, I bought a large book of Paul Simon's compositions. In the introduction, penned in 1973, Paul wrote that he believed his best songs had yet to be written.

That's crazy, I thought. How could he say that? Look at the masterpieces already in the volume I held in my hands. Sound of Silence. Mrs. Robinson. Bridge Over Troubled Water. Simon then spent the rest of the 70s and the 80s proving that he was right about what he said in 1973.

I suppose it's human nature to look at past accomplishments and believe that it would be difficult if not impossible to top those achievements. It takes some effort to look forward with the confidence that what is to come will outshine what has passed. Simon made it happen by exploring new styles of music and delving deeply into topics that were both personal and painful. He refused to be defined by his past. These days, I catch Simon from time to time on television teamed up with his old partner Garfunkel singing the old songs. And I know that he can't really be happy doing that.

All that to say ... as I look forward after 965 posts and three years of photo blogging ... I believe that my best photographs have yet to be taken. Stay tuned.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

3 comments:

~pen~ said...

your best pics left to be taken? i don't know, james -- if you can take the mundane dandelion and turn it into art, i think you have something here already :)

happy blogoversary!

penni

Anonymous said...

James,you've captured the key to living life to the fullest--expecting the best is yet to come. Congratulations on three years of beautiful photos. Looking forward to more.

Otto K. said...

Really lovely, James. Happy anniversary!