Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Three years later

Points of Light will mark its third anniversary tomorrow with a simple ceremony. I will sit down at the computer with a cup of coffee, select a photo that I have queued, and upload it to Blogger along with a few thoughts. It will be very similar to the nearly one thousand ceremonies that preceded it.

A lot of friends from a lot of places have passed by in the course of the last three years. An intrepid few of you still stop by to visit. I appreciate you all. This whole thing started as a way to give my photographs some exposure. At the time, it seemed that the world wide interwebs just might be the place to do it.

And has it ever. Combined with my postings at Flickr, my photos rack up about 4,000 to 5,000 views a week. The grand total so far is about 350,000 views. And since they're posted with a Creative Commons license, they've appeared on numerous web sites and blogs and Lord-knows-how-many computer desktops. I've even had the fortune of selling a few for publication now and then.

If there's one thing I learned about the internet in the last three years, it's this - there are very, very few instant successes that rack up thousands or millions of hits overnight. But that's okay. For the rest of us, the internet and its search engines reward consistency of effort over time.

Hey, life is kind of like that, too.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for providing us with a view of the world through your eyes over these last three years. It was mention of Elgin that got me here, but it is your words and photographs that keeps me coming back.

HeyJules said...

Congratulations, Jim. I've thoroughly enjoyed the time I spend here.

Dave said...

All credit to you fo sticking at it and finding the inpiration. I rarely comment bu look in a few times during the week. Cheers. Dave

James said...

Thanks to each one of you. I appreciate getting to know you all a little through this little experiment I call my blog.

Take care.