Monday, September 08, 2008

Pupa

A pupa is a transformational stage in the life cycle of an insect. Not too dissimilar to losing a job and looking for another, as is my case.

This silken cocoon was built by a polyphemus caterpillar about two weeks ago. I captured the caterpillar which I found in my yard with the intention of photographing him the next day. He changed the plan by spinning a cocoon overnight.

Since it’s rather late in the season, I don’t know if he will emerge within a two-week pupation period or hibernate over the winter. He spun his shell two week ago today.

Today, my first full day separated from The Company, will find me in my new cocoon, participating in the activities of preparing for a new life. As in the case of Mr. Polyphemus, I don’t know what the time frame will be before I emerge in a new light.

So as I wait for the cocoon to stir, I will attend to the moth’s and my own situations in the same manner – one day at a time.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

No comments: