Friday, October 10, 2008

Autumn rocks #2

Jack Frost has been a busy guy around these parts, painting the trees in red and golden hues. I'm continuing a series of photos featuring autumn colors without actually depicting the trees themselves. Taking a walk along the Elgin, Illinois riverfront, I took a number of pictures of the colors reflected in the waters of the Fox River.

I found a rock along the river bed that was just begging to be balanced and carried it with me until I came upon a good spot for a photograph - a hospitable base rock and a colorful background in the water behind it. The low angle of sunlight didn't hurt, either. It took a couple of minutes to get the rock to balance, but once standing, I took several shots from different angles.

Photo tip: The natural inclination is to shoot a closeup of an object from, well ... close up. For this shot, I stepped back several yards and used a telephoto lens to bring the object to me. This changes the viewing perspective ever so slightly and can result in a shot that is a bit different than what we may be used to seeing and may compel a viewer to stick with it a bit longer than they would have otherwise. It's worth playing with as you're out shooting.

Click on this post's headline for image EXIF data. Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

4 comments:

ChrisJ said...

Great shot -- and I like your tips. I come from a family of photographers, but never took to it myself until I started to blog.

Wanda said...

Just absolutely perfect shot.

Anonymous said...

Very cool shot James love it sure you didnt use super glue :)

I need orange said...

Nice.

Nice balance, and nice image.