Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Kindred spirits

Every year, I try to take some sort of offbeat picture for Halloween and more often than not, it includes fire in some form. It's a way to release my inner pyromaniac, I suppose.

How to do it: Set your camera for a long exposure - this shot was set for 15 seconds at f5.6 and 100 ISO. Set the self timer and fire off the shot. While the picture is exposing, move some type of flaming object through the frame. In this case, I covered an oil candle with black electrical tape, then attached it to a long black metal rod. It'll probably take several shots to get the flame where you want it in the shot. Digital cameras are indispensible for the instant feedback you can get - I used to do this with film by guess and by golly.

Photo blogging: I'm a contributing editor to the photo site Innovative Digital Photographers. My current post there reviews the work of Lucie Debelkova, who produces some phenomenal travel photography. Lucie travels the world making images that capture the viewer with vivid colors and light. Take a look and prepare to be amazed.

Click on this post's headline for image EXIF data. Click on picture to enlarge (1440X900). Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute! Your pictures always delight me- I bet you get tired of me exclaiming over them :)

Anonymous said...

BTW, I hope you do a winter meme- the autumn one has been really popular with all of us garden bloggers.

Juddie said...

Wonderful! I love your work. Thank you for sharing it.