Thursday, December 11, 2008

Spire

Back in October, I participated in the latest Elgin 1440 photography project. This year's event, the third in the series, encouraged the people of Elgin to get out and photograph a day in the life of the city - in this case, the day was October 14. The number 1440 signifies the number of minutes in a day.

Participants could enter up to five photographs that they felt embodied the theme of "Autumn Sun/Harvest Moon." Photos selected by a jury would be displayed at the Hemmens Cultural Center in downtown Elgin from November 25 through January 4.

I began shooting about 5:00 a.m. that day and finished around 7:00 p.m. I entered five photos (out of more than 150 pictures I took that day) and all five were selected by the exhibit's jury. The Elgin 1440 link above takes you to a local newpaper's coverage of the gallery opening. The photo accompanying the story shows one of my pictures (the lower photo on the partition).

The photo above is one that I shot that day, but chose not to enter. The day started out rather gray and gloomy and I didn't have high hopes for capturing the "Autumn Sun" portion of the theme. I walked to the top of a downtown parking garage and noticed a number of church steeples around me. The clouds were beginning to break and some early morning sunlight was able to break through to tint the clouds a light pink.

Over the course of the next few days, I'll post some scenes from my hometown on a sunny autumn day.

Click on this post's headline for image EXIF data. Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

1 comment:

n8 said...

Very impressive. Congratulations!