Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Peenchers

Peenchers

The nasty end of a male earwig. Males tend to have larger, curved pinchers while females' pinchers are shorter and straighter.

These nocturnal critters are on a continual search for water and damp places and can squeeze into the smallest areas. They'll follow exterior water pipes into houses and they loooove basements.

They rarely do so, but earwigs are capable of flight. I once had one buzz around my head as I sat near a light one summer evening. It then flew down my shirt collar and delivered a couple of pinches to my neck before I gave it the ultimate pinch.

Using the extremely shallow depth of field of my lens reversal macro setup to advantage here.

Photograph © 2009 James Jordan.

2 comments:

kelli said...

this is the bug that i am terrified of. my dad's mom used to tell him they would crawl in your ear at night and lay eggs and hatch in your brain!! so he never liked these and told me why...yikes!!! i'm sure it's an old wive's tale, but still....

Fotos PPF said...

I do not have words to tell you what I think about yours photos.