Monday, November 30, 2009

Make-A-Wish Monday

Make a wish 2

Fun with a wishbone left over from the Thanksgiving festivities. Yeah, it's kinda small -- we served cornish game hens with a wild rice stuffing. Mmmmm. Anyway, I thought I could do some photographic-type stuff with the bone and try out a new set of flash grids in the process.

The photo above has the flash set at 1/32 power with a 1/8 inch grid attached. The grid creates a strong directional light that wonderfully outlines a subject when placed perpendicular to the camera-subject axis. A sheet of white foam board is standing just out of the frame to the right to reflect some light back onto my fingers.

Make a wish 3

Same flash setup as above, only this time the flash is pointing directly down at the subject and is about 2 inches away. This time the grid creates a circle of light with a graduated falloff to black. Both this photo and the one above were shot at or on my dining room table at night. Normal room lighting was on the entire time -- I simply adjusted aperture down and shutter speed up to turn the ambient light to black and let the flash do all the work. No need to make the family sit around in the dark while I fiddled with some shots.

Last photo also taken at the dining room table. Afternoon sun is coming in through the window blinds behind me. White foam board propped up to catch the slats of sunlight and reflect some of it back onto my hand.

Make a wish 1

Here's wishing you a good Monday.

Photographs © 2009 James Jordan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello James,

Not easy to turn around a subject like you do. Good shots.

Bye!

Serge

Anonymous said...

The wishbone looks like a note on the wall to me with your hand keeping the note on the line.

I visit your web site every day and your pictures are always a source of reflections.

Ida