Thursday, December 03, 2009

Temporary toy

Nikon D90 w/17-55mm f/2.8 lens

I got these goodies to play with for a few days. It's a Nikon D90 with a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens. I discovered Borrowlenses.com, an online camera equipment rental site that only charges you a very reasonable rental fee -- most other rental outfits put a hold on your plastic equal to the retail value of the equipment until it's returned.

Camera and lens, which includes all of their in-the-box accessories, insurance plus shipping both ways all adds up to about 20 dollars a day. Not too bad. I'm renting this to use on a photo gig this Saturday and am taking a couple of days to get acquainted with it. For about 10 dollars a day more, I could have rented a Nikon D3x, a top of the line pro camera, but I figured the learning curve may have been a bit too steep for shooting an assignment only two days after I've touched one for the very first time.

The photo of the D90 was taken with my trusty D60. Used three strobes, one with a honeycomb grid placed above the subject and another, also outfitted with a grid, to the right. A third strobe was placed six feet to the right and slightly behind the subject with a red gel to add some color highlights. This strobe was triggered via a synch cord. The other flashes were set to slave mode to fire when they detected the flash from the first strobe.

Maybe Santa will bring me a set of wireless flash triggers this year. I've been a good boy.

Photograph © 2009 James Jordan.

No comments: